Saturday, May 5, 2012

Recipe #13: Chicken Tetrazzini Florentine

One of my favourite dishes that my mom used to make is chicken tetrazzini so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. It is definitely on my list of comfort foods - so spinach could only make it better, right? I only hesitated for a second or two about putting the spinach into the boiling water with the noodles. It's apparently called "blanching" to put it into boiling water to cook it quickly and rinsing with cold water is less for the pasta, but more for cooling off the spinach and ensuring it stops cooking. I opted for gluten-free linguini noodles instead of the suggested spaghetti and I love the effect of the thicker noodle. The recipe calls for rotisserie chicken which I was only too happy to pick-up at the grocery store instead of making my own, but leftover chicken could also be substituted. The rotisserie chicken did add a nice flavour though that I wasn't expecting, but will reach for again. I used just enough mozzarella to cover the top of the baking dish instead of the 1.5 cups suggested, but we definitely didn't feel that it was missing anything on the cheese factor! The one thing that I think I'll do next time (and there will be a next time!) is probably just plain cream cheese and do my own herb seasonings, plus some freshly ground pepper will definitely just bring it all together well.

It's great for company as it's super easy to prepare and could probably be made in advance then just pop it in the oven. The recipe says that it serves six, but between three of us for dinner plus lunches the next day, I still had lunch for myself for probably another three days! It froze and reheated well. It's a good thing it was delicious as I've been eating it for days!



Ingredients
300g spaghetti, broken into thirds
1 pkg baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp oil
1 pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
2 cups milk
1 tub Philadelphia Herb & Garlic light cream cheese spread
4 cups shredded rotiserie chicken
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups mozzarella shredded cheese

Instructions
1) Heat oven to 350F.
2) Cook spaghetti in large saucepan as directed on package, omitting salt and adding spinach to the boiling water for the last minute.
3) Meanwhile, heat oil in nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir 4 minutes or until mushrooms release liquid. Add milk and cream cheese spread; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended, stirring constantly.
4) Drain spaghetti mixture in colander; rinse with cold water. Drain well. Return to saucepan. Add chicken, mushroom sauce and 2 tbsp parmesan; mix well. Pour into 13x9 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; cover.
5) Bake 25 minutes. Top with mozzarella and remaining parmesan; bake, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until spaghetti mixture is hot and bubbly and mozzarella is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Sincerely xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment