Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Recipe #1: Salmon with Gingery Green Beans and Bok Choy

In attempt to eat more naturally and less boxed foods for both my health and my taste buds, I will be tackling new recipes that test my boundaries for what I am comfortable cooking - both with new items and flavour combinations. In honour of my friend Query, I have agreed to blog about this adventure and hope to both amaze and delight with photos and recipes.


Thanks to a family blessing, there are certain additives and preservatives that don't agree with my body. This can be extremely frustrating in a world of pre-made foods where everything is preserved for "freshness" and presented in a convenient package for ease and time efficiency. There's actually something amazing about having a shopping list where most of the items can be found in the grocery store permimeter (produce, deli, bread, dairy - good things!).


First up, this delicious salmon with gingery green beans and bok choy. I was excited for this recipe as I love fish but confess that I have never bought real fish before (why would you buy it when you can catch it with a fishing rod?) and as much as I love vegetables, I had never attempted to purchase and cook bok choy before. The most difficulty with this meal was the twenty minutes waiting at the fish counter in the grocery store to select my salmon while the grocery store employee was busy fileting the fish of the order before me.


This recipe and the next five are from a magazine called "Real Simple". I love their recipes because they are just that 'real simple' and show how delicious food can be with both fresh and minimal ingredients. The salmon itself was cooked in a frying pan with a little bit of salt that brought out the delicious fishy flavour. The green beans, bok choy and carrots were tossed in the pan after cooking oil with ginger, garlic and green onions. That's it!


Ingredients
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
1 1/4 pounds skinless salmon filet, cut into 4 pieces
Kosher salt
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
3/4 pound green beans, trimmed
3/4 pound baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
4 small carrots, cut into thin strips


Instructions
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes per side.


Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, tossing, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the green beans, bok choy, carrots, 1/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, tossing occassionally, until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve with the salmon.


I confess the recipe recommends serving the salmon drizzled with Sriracha or Asian chili-garlic sauce, but I didn't have any on hand. And the fish didn't need it! If anything, I might have put a little lemon on the salmon, but that's my favourite for fish anyway.


Enjoy!!


Sincerely,
Sincerely xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment